10 Tips to Make Your Characters Shine
- Give them a quirk. This doesn’t have to be something big, just consistent and something that will set them apart from the other characters.
- Give them a flaw. No one is perfect. I know I’m not. It’s the flaws, big and little, that make us human.
- Give them a secret. As an actor, my drama coach always said to create a secret for our character to give them depth. No one needed to know what the secret was, but it would show in our performance.
- Give them a phobia. Everyone has fears. The most memorable characters will show those fears at some point, yet be able to conquer them.
- Make them true to themselves. Readers will be jarred out of the story if your character does something that’s out of character, without good reason. It’s the equivalent of a perfect child suddenly doing…
View original post 213 more words